Occasionally we make cutting boards that we call "Frankenboards".
Frankenboard: When making butcher block, the first step is to glue up a large panel. We then cross-cut strips from that panel, turning them on end in sequence and gluing those together to form the final butcher block. We often have extra strips from any given panel. When we have a butcher block formed from strips from more than a single panel, that’s a “Frankenboard.” Nothing wrong with it, it’s just that the look of the grain pattern from one row to the next doesn’t necessarily flow seamlessly.
In this case, we glued up the extra strips to make a walnut and maple mixed wood board. This pattern is our most popular striped board because of the beautiful contrast of light and dark wood. This maple has some of the typical mineral streaks prevalent in maple. It doesn't affect beauty or quality, just makes it unique!
Feet will NOT be installed, but if you order a set, I'll be happy to put them on for you:
*Photos are for demonstration only. Yours will look unique due to the variations in natural wood
Our boards are made by hand, and will ship in 2-3 weeks.
- Traditional end-grain construction withstands years of use
- Crafted with only sustainably sourced premium grade hardwood
- Individually handcrafted with careful attention to details such as wood grain direction and seamless joinery
- Easier on your knife edge compared to 'long' or 'edge' grain cutting boards.
- Smoothly beveled edges and corners
- High quality food-safe and waterproof glue
- Wood encased shock absorbing feet attached with stainless steel screws
- Finished with food grade mineral oil and beeswax
- Easy to maintain
- Doubles as a beautiful serving platter for bread, cheese and appetizers.
- Designed and made in the USA
BONUS! Order with one of our Premium cutting boards and save 15% off your Sidekick (discount applied in your cart automatically)