Occasionally we make cutting boards that we call "Frankenboards".
Frankenboard: When making butcher block, the first step is to glue up a large panel. We then cross-cut strips from that panel, turning them on end in sequence and gluing those together to form the final butcher block. We often have extra strips from any given panel. When we have a butcher block formed from strips from more than a single panel, that’s a “Frankenboard.” Nothing wrong with it, it’s just that the look of the grain pattern from one row to the next doesn’t necessarily flow seamlessly.
Maple often comes with mineral streaks, which are in essence a birthmark. They don't affect functionality or quality, but some don't find them as aesthetically pleasing. We don't mind the streaks because we appreciate the uniqueness of each board. This one is also "barely" a Franken because some of the strips do match. This is a keeper.
Feet will NOT be installed, but if you order a set, I'll be happy to put them on for you:
*Photos are for demonstration only. Yours will look unique due to the variations in natural wood
Cutting boards are made-to-order. Due to increased demand, ordering now means your order will arrive after the holidays.
- Traditional end-grain construction withstands years of use
- Crafted with only sustainably sourced premium grade hardwood
- Individually handcrafted with careful attention to details such as wood grain direction and seamless joinery
- Easier on your knife edge compared to 'long' or 'edge' grain cutting boards.
- Smoothly beveled edges and corners
- High quality food-safe and waterproof glue
- Wood encased shock absorbing feet attached with stainless steel screws
- Finished with food grade mineral oil and beeswax
- Easy to maintain
- Doubles as a beautiful serving platter for bread, cheese and appetizers.
- Designed and made in the USA
BONUS! Order with one of our Premium cutting boards and save 15% off your Sidekick (discount applied in your cart automatically)